Russia has a rich history and a unique culture. It originates from ancient times, but still preserved in the modern society.
Russian culture has had a significant impact on the culture of other countries in the field of art, literature, music and philosophy. It is also influential in area of different sciences: physic, chemistry, math, biology, history and philology.
The whole world knows Russian literature, classic music, painting and particularly Russian theater and ballet. In 19th century Russia became a country with a highly developed artistic culture and up to now it keeps their identity.
Russian Literature became the world famous in the middle of 19th century, when the best writers of the «golden age» began their great work. The best Russian authors always combine philosophy and fiction in their novels; they tried to understand the psychology of their characters and causes of human actions. The most famous Russian writers and poets are:
- Alexander Pushkin (poetry, «Eugene Onegin», «Little Tragedies»)
- Fyodor Dostoevsky («The Brothers Karamazov», «Idiot», «Crime and Punishment»)
- Lev Tolstoy («War and Peace», «Ann Karenina»)
- Anton Chekhov («The Cherry Orchard», «Seagull, «Three Sisters»)
- Boris Pasternak («Doctor Zhivago», poetry)
- Joseph Brodsky (poetry)
Russian school of painting came from the iconography, which is known all over the world. In the Middle Age there was in more than 10 different school of iconography: special one in every big city. The most famous representatives are:
- Theophanes the Greek;
- Andrei Rublev;
- Daniel Chorny;
In the beginning of 20th century Russian painters make a revolution in the world of art: there appeared abstractionism, suprematism and futurism. The avant-garde in painting was born in two countries – Russia and France. And the most famous Russian painters are:
- Wassily Kandinsky;
- Kazimir Malevich;
- Marc Chagall;
- Alexander Rodchenko.
Today all the greatest masterpieces of Russian art are in Moscow’s and St. Petersburg’s museums and you have the opportunity to see them live in the capital of the avant-garde.
Russian classic music is one of the best in the world. Russian composers were already famous in the end of 19th century due to concerts and ballets, but in 20th century (just like the painting) Russian music became a leader in contemporary trends. Major Russian composers are:
- Pyotr Tchaikovsky;
- Modest Mussorgsky;
- Sergei Rachmaninoff;
- Sergei Prokofiev;
- Dmitri Shostakovich.
In every Russian city are placed lots of theaters, music and concert halls. You have a brilliant chance to hear «Swan Lake» or «The Nutcracker» in Bolshoi Theater in Moscow either Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg.
Ballet is a special pride to every Russian, because our school of ballet is considered the best in the world.
In the beginning of the 20th century producer Sergey Diaghilev opened to Europe and America the masterpiece of Russian ballet: he organized a world tour, which brought an incredible success. Since that time our country become an undoubtedly leader in ballet worldwide. The most famous dancers are:
- Vaslav Nijinsky;
- Anna Pavlova;
- Maya Plisetskaya;
- Rudolf Nureyev.
You can see all the best ballets in Bolshoi and Mariinsky theaters performed by the best dancers in the world.
Russian folklore is original and very diverse. It includes traditional costumes, dances, songs, music and of course fairy tales. Every child in Russia listens and reads this tales. There is in Russia a special kind of fairy tales – bylines. They are specific epic stories about bogatyrs (super strong heroes), who kill angry villains and freed their lands.
Also there is in Russia special type of folklore poetry – chastushka. It is a little poem put to music with funny or ironic content.
Russia always was one of the leaders in sciences. We have brilliant scientists, who have made revolutionary inventions. Here are the main inventions and progresses made by the Russians:
- First space flight in human history (astronaut - Yuri Gagarin)
- Creation of periodic table of the chemical elements (Dmitri Mendeleev)
- Invention of radio (Alexander Popov)
- Invention of helicopter (Igor Sikorsky)
- Invention of television (Boris Rosing)
- Invention of laser (Nikolay Basov and Alexander Prokhorov)
- Invention of narcosis and plaster (Nikolai Pirogov)
Russian nature probably is the most various in the world. There exist 11 time zones and a huge number of diverse landscapes for all kinds of tourism.
- Russia is washed by 3 oceans and 12 seas
- Lake Baikal is the deepest in the world and the largest reservoir of fresh water
- Siberian Taiga is the biggest forest on the Earth
- The Kamchatka peninsula is absolutely unique nature reserve
- The Urals are one of the oldest mountains in the world
- Lake “Ladoga” is the largest in Europe
- Volga river is the longest river in Europe
Nature is the greatest treasure of Russia. There is no country all over the world, where nature would be so beautiful and diverse.
Russia always leaves great impressions due to incredible cities, brilliant art and amazing nature.